Saturday, December 27, 2008

Defining Your Self-Worth

With reference to the call to pray for the Nama People (See Struggling in Bethanie), that the Church will anchor them in the Word of God and help them to trust in Christ to restore their dignity. What do you anchor your self-worth in? In what terms do you define yourself? Is it based on knowing Christ alone? Let's read a few lines from a devotional from Os Hillman.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" (Psalm 139:14).

What measurements do you use to define your self-worth? Do you define it based on your financial assets? Is it based on what you have achieved professionally? Perhaps you define your value based on the number of children you have.

There are many things we can use to define our self-worth. However, the scriptures tell us there is only one measure for our self-worth. Each of us has self-worth because we are made in the image of God. And because we are made in the image of God, we are valuable. Whenever you and I place a value in ourselves that is based on some other performance criteria, we have moved beyond God's view of our worth as human beings. You are never more valuable to God than you were the day you were born.

Paul said the purpose for his existence was......"to know Christ, and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death" (Philippians 3:10).

Please consider this question now. In what terms do you define yourself? Is it based on knowing Christ alone?
Source: TGIF Devotional Os Hillman

Dear God, my Father in Heaven,
Oh, how insignificant I feel when I think of Your majesty.
May my smallness be engulfed in Your greatness!
I thank You for loving, accepting, affirming, and forgiving me and adopting me into Your divine family; and for regenerating me into what You would have me be!
Free me from self-doubt, shame, and guilt. Let me realize how valuable I am--that You would send Your only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to save me!
I pray in the name and power of Jesus, Amen.

Source: http://www.tagnet.org/huntsville/inhissteps/pworth.htm

No comments: