Thursday, April 3, 2014

BEING OLD IN NAMIBIA

Pray for senior citizens to face the challenges of old age in Namibia. Aging has its own set of challenges.

Some of the universal issues are:
  • Retirement and lack of purpose.
  • Moving to old age homes, children or left to self.
  • Loss of social network.
  • Closeness to death - death of a spouse and daily facing death of friends.
  • Migration of children - moving away.
  • Loneliness.
  • Vulnerable to developing mental illnesses like depression.
  • High risk of suicide.
  • Anxiety disorders.
  • Sleeping disorders.
  • Escalating problem of dementia.
  • Body - joint and other pains.
  • Drop in fitness making movement more difficult.
  • Malnutrition.
  • Left to fend for themselves.
Make each of these issues an item for prayer. Use scripture. Cover our elderly in prayers! Here is a prayer for renewed strength for senior citizens in Namibia:

O Lord, my God,
Please give me the grace to maintain my hope in You
through all of life’s changes.
To taste and see your goodness.
I praise you for the gifts You have showered
on me for so many years.
Help me find joy in a renewed
strength of spirit.
Please bless me with good health.
Inspire me to be a good example to others.
For you are Lord, forever and ever
. Amen.

He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age.

Ruth 4:15

Even to your old age and grey hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4

King David died at a good old age, having enjoyed long life, wealth and honor. 1 Chronicles 29:28

No comments: